Total car sales 2016
Car sales statictics for 2016
- Total car sales in 2016 - 140,000
- Private new cars licensed for the first time - 142,688, an increase of 17.8% compared with the previous year.
- New cars registrations still below the most recent peak in 2007 when 180,754 new vehicles were licensed.
- Used car import market just under 70,000 imported - up by almost 50% on 2015.
- That was the highest annual number of used cars imported on record, reflecting the drop in sterling.
- New goods vehicles 2016 increased by of 22.6% in 2016 to 28,117 - the highest since 2008's figure of 31,459.
- Most popular make - Volkswagen 15,163 models licensed.
- Second most popular make - Toyota 14,772 models licenced
- Third most popular make - Hyundai 14,682 models licenced
- Fourth most popular make - Ford 14,208 models licenced
- Fifth most popular make - Nissan 11,561 models licenced.
- Total of top five makes represent 49.3% of all new private cars licensed.
- Seven out of every ten new private cars licensed in 2016 were diesel.
- Eight out of every ten new private cars licensed were in lowest CO2 emissions band A.
- New cars licensed in December - down by almost a fifth COMPARED TO 2015.
Justin Kavanagh is a recognised leader in automotive intelligence and vehicle data supply to the entire motor industry. He has almost 20 years experience in building systems from the ground up. As the Managing Director of Vehicle Management System, he understands the need and importance of trustworthy and reliable vehicle history and advice to both the trade and the public.
Follow me on LinkedIn