Vehicle Replacement Documents


The vehicle Registration book and Vehicle Registration Certificate or Vehicle Licensing Certificate can be replaced by completing the Replacement Documents application form RF134 for €12 each. There is a €6 fee for replacing your motor Tax Disc and Trailer Card if these documents have been lost, stolen or destroyed.

Replacing a lost tax disc

Motor Tax Disk

It is possible to obtain replacement documents associated with motor tax. List of documents and the cost of their replacement is as follows;

Document Replacement cost
Tax disc €6
Registration book/certificate €12
Vehicle licensing certificate €12

You can receive replacement motor documents for your car by completing an RF134 form at your local Garda Station which must be stamped and signed by a member of the Garda Siochana. It should be posted with the relevant fee to a motor tax office. This form is available from the local motor tax office or can be downloaded 

When applying for replacement licence which has been lost, stolen or damaged, the D401 driving Licence application form should be completed. A lost licence declaration form must also be presented. The duplicate licence costs €35 and can obtained on the NDLS website here.

All commercial vehicles must complete a CVR test in order to get a Certificate of Roadworthiness (CRW). If your CRW has been lost, stolen or destroyed, you can apply for a replacement from by applying for the certificate of road worthiness replacement document. The replacement CRW will then be sent to the registered owner of the vehicle.

You can replace your NCT Certificate or NCT report for a fee of €15.50 each. This should be requested by filling out an RF134 form providing the car registration number, make, model and owner details. These details along with either your windscreen disc or NCT Certificate and the fee should be sent to Applus Car Testing Service Ltd.

If you require a replacement document for your insurance certificate or disc you may be required to complete a Lost Certificate and Disc Declaration form from your local insurance branch or website or email this request to your insurance company who will provide you with the relevant documents. Allianz declaration form can be downloaded here.

If you misplace your theory test pass cert and need a new document you can request a duplicate of your Driver Theory Test certificate by calling 1890 606 106 and a fee of €15.00 is payable for this process.

When buying a second-hand car, it’s so important to get a car history report. As soon as you purchase a car history report will send you a document with a wide range of information about the car such as if the car was used as a taxi before, if there is any outstanding finance owed, number of previous owners, if the NCT is invalid, insurance written off check, along with a number of other findings in the report that might affect the performance of the car. After that, you will also be able to make an informed and rational decision when thinking to buy or sell a car.